Eddie Long: Using the Bible to Manipulate  

What's been missing from the fracas over Eddie Long of late? The main issue in the discussion has been the hypocrisy of ministers who rail against homosexuality while nurturing their own homosexual desires. But what about the tidbit found in the charges against him alleging that the preacher used biblical passages to persuade his young victims that sexual intimacy between him and them was OK with God?

"Bishop Eddie Long didn’t just use money, cars, and jewelry, but also the Bible as justification for his conduct, claims plaintiff Maurice Robinson."

I haven't seen any mention yet about which specific scriptures Long may have used, but this may have been one:

"I grieve for you, Jonathan my brother; you were very dear to me. Your love for me was wonderful, more wonderful than that of women." (2 Sam. 1:26)

The church I was part of in the early days of my Christian life had a very charismatic preacher who used this passage from time to time. He was eventually fired because he preyed on young men in the same way as Long is accused of.

I ran across an example of another biblical passage used to persuade young girls that sex with their fathers is sanctioned by God here.

What about preachers using the bible to persuade people to part with their money so that said preachers can live in luxury while they themselves struggle to keep the heat on? Happens in virtually every church in the country every Sunday.

Let's talk about what this means.

Follow me on Twitter. Golden Platypus is updated often; the easiest way to get your regular dose is by subscribing to our news feed. Stay on top of all our updates by subscribing now via RSS or Email.


0 comments

Post a Comment