A slightly different take on the prodigal son  

It's funny how your take on common Bible stories changes when you free your mind from the constraints of blind faith. Take the parable of the prodigal, or lost, son. As a believer it didn't raise even one of my eyebrows. In fact I've not run across a raised eyebrow concerning this parable in all my life (which is not to say there haven't been any, I'm sure there have been).So now I will point out the things that strike me that never did before.

And He said, A certain man had two sons. And the younger of them said to his father, Father, give me the portion of goods that is coming to me. And he divided his living to them. And not many days afterward, the younger son gathered all together and went away into a far country. And there he wasted his property, living dissolutely. And when he had spent all, there arose a mighty famine in that land. And he began to be in want. And he went and joined himself to a citizen of that country. And he sent him into his fields to feed pigs. And he was longing to fill his belly with the husks that the pigs ate, and no one gave to him. And when he came to himself, he said, How many hired servants of my father abound in loaves, and I perish with hunger! I will arise and go to my father, and will say to him, Father, I have sinned against Heaven and before you and am no more worthy to be called your son. Make me like one of your hired servants. And he arose and came to his father. But when he was still a great way off, his father saw him and had compassion, and ran and fell on his neck and kissed him. And the son said to him, Father, I have sinned against Heaven and before you, and am no more worthy to be called your son. But the father said to his servants, Bring the best robe and put it on him. And put a ring on his hand and shoes on his feet. And bring the fattened calf here and kill it. And let us eat and be merry, for this my son was dead and is alive again, he was lost and is found. And they began to be merry. (Luke 15:11-24)

The young man decides to leave his father's house and set off on his own. What's wrong with that? Is there something about leaving home and trying to make it on your own that's worthy of disdain?

The father considered the son "dead" while he was gone. Why? There's something creepy about a parent who considers a son or daughter dead simply because they strike out on their own.

The son only chose to return because he ran out of money and got hungry. He crafted a fake-humble statement to get back into Dad's good graces. I guess he knew Dad couldn't resist self-abasement.

The son demonstrated his lack of character by blowing his inheritance on sex, drugs and rock-n-roll (or the ancient equivalent). Should not some of the blame for this fall on the father for how he raised him? And when the son returned he faced no consequences for his stupidity. Had he been spoiled? Where was the tough love?

What about you? Does the story raise any questions in your mind?

Follow me on Twitter. Golden Platypus is updated often; the easiest way to get your regular dose is by subscribing to our news feed. Stay on top of all our updates by subscribing now via RSS or Email.


0 comments

Post a Comment