The stupidity of Dr. Laura  

First let me say that I like Dr. Laura's refreshing willingness to call people out on their dumbness. She tells people, in many cases, what I wish I could but am not in a position to do without getting creamed.

I also think she's shackled to a religious worldview that makes her prone to arrogance and hypocrisy. The thing is, she's clearly got a very sharp mind. She's not generally stupid.

This is why I am always amazed when a normally smart person says something that any pea-brain would know will elicit overwhelming criticism and possibly cause them to lose their day job. And they always act clueless when the inevitable tide of acrimony sweeps them away.

I think what happens in these cases is, the individual has developed an untoward sense of complacency and overconfidence about their ability to speak articulately. They begin to speak without caution. The editor in their brain that should give to OK before anything exits their mouth has been prematurely put out to pasture.

When celebrities and politicians who ought to know better arrive and this place, their oral screwups are inevitable.

Your thoughts?

Follow me on Twitter. Golden Platypus is updated often; the easiest way to get your regular dose is by subscribing to our news feed. Stay on top of all our updates by subscribing now via RSS or Email.


0 comments

Post a Comment