Who needs forgiveness?  

A friend not long ago, explaining to me why he became a Christian said: I felt a powerful need for forgiveness, and Christianity is the only religion that offers this.

Of course I can understand the appeal of forgiveness. I am, as you are, a social animal. I have evolved as a member of a tribe who must "play well with others" in order to survive and thrive. Part of playing well with others is treating them as I would like to be treated and, failing in this ideal (which we all do from time to time), seeking reconciliation.

Thus my conscience pricks me when I cause pain to others and I feel guilty and I feel a need for forgiveness.

What I do not feel, and have never felt even as a Christian, is the need to be forgiven for offending a Creator.

Follow me on Twitter. Golden Platypus is updated often; the easiest way to get your regular dose is by subscribing to our news feed. Stay on top of all our updates by subscribing now via RSS or Email.


0 comments

Post a Comment