Are you angry with God?  

It's so common it's become a cliché. Someone close to you dies, so you're angry with God. You lose your job, you blame God. The crops fail, God has it in for you. "Why did God let this happen?" "God and I aren't on very good terms right now." And so on. Seems pretty silly to me. Wouldn't it be more rational and reasonable to conclude  that what happened was not the doing of a spiteful deity, but rather the result of earthly causes?

When people suffer, they tend to seek a "reason." They want to have an explanation. But people die. Bad things happen. What makes anyone so special they should be exempt from the harshness of a disinterested universe?

Since I've admitted to myself and others that I'm an atheist I've been accused of being angry with God. How can one be angry with a being one has no reason to believe even exists? When bad or unpleasant things happen to me, it seems I'm much more capable of dealing with these events when I focus on real causes. Is there something I can do to rectify the situation? Is there a way I can prevent this sort of thing from happening again? If not, what's to be gained by dwelling on it? Like that.

Follow me on Twitter. Golden Platypus is updated often; the easiest way to get your regular dose is by subscribing to our news feed. Stay on top of all our updates by subscribing now via RSS or Email.


0 comments

Post a Comment