Coming Back to Myself  

Someone who is saddened by my non-belief in the Christian faith told me recently they hope one day I'll call and say, "I'm back!" Meaning of course back to faith. But I am indeed back. I'm back to myself. After a detour spanning from 1977 to 2006.

In August 1976 I began my university education at the University of Florida. I was 16. I admit I was lonely and afraid, excited and terrified at the same time by this new independence. I wanted to belong to something.

A group known as the Crossroads Church of Christ approached me through one of their members who lived two doors down from me in Broward Hall. His name was Wayne, he was ROTC and a nice person, so when he asked if I'd like to go to a bible study with him I said sure.

Recruiters of all fanatical variations know to go after prey when they're young, unformed, uninformed. Before I knew what I was doing, I was coming up out of the water of the church baptistry. A few months later I was living with members, dating members, changing my major to something easy so I could "train" for the ministry.

Eventually the church was my career. Try getting out of that after 23 years!

Follow me on Twitter. Golden Platypus is updated often; the easiest way to get your regular dose is by subscribing to our news feed. Stay on top of all our updates by subscribing now via RSS or Email.


0 comments

Post a Comment