Transcendent Moments  

I'm 49. I became a Christian at 17, left Christianity at around 47, so that makes 30 years, or more than 60% of my lifetime thus far, spent in a relationship with a supposedly transcendent being. And so what were the moments in my lifetime that transcended typical, humdrum existence? Not what you might think.

But first, let me define what I mean by transcendent. Here's a definition that works for me: "beyond and outside the ordinary range of human experience or understanding" (WordNet).

I cannot recall a single experience in my life, associated with my beliefs, that meets that definition. (To many Christians this will be all the proof they need that I was never a true believer to begin with, but I think it is true for most religious people.)

What events do stand out? I can think of only two.

1. The first time I made love.

2. The first night I went out stargazing with my astronomy class in college.

More on what this implies later.

Golden Platypus is updated often; the easiest way to get your regular dose is by subscribing to our news feed. Stay on top of all our updates by subscribing now via RSS or Email.


0 comments

Post a Comment